I often find myself running point statistics in LP360 (either LP360 for ArcGIS or the standalone LP360) using the stamp Point Cloud Task tools. This allows me to take multiple samples across the project for point density testing or classification counts. I realized that it is not obvious that you can append to a shape file, negating the need to continually add the file to the Table of Contents. Proceed as follows:
- Set up the Statistics Point Cloud Task for the values you want to measure.
- “Stamp” an area where you wish to measure the statistics.
- LP360 will prompt you for the name and location of the resultant shape file. Provide this
- Insert this newly created file into the Table of Contents (using the Add Data button in ArcGIS or
the “Add Data to the Map…” button in LP360 for Windows).
- Repeat the stamp in the new location. This time choose the file that you created in step 3.
Answer “Yes” to the “Do you wish to append to the existing file?” question.
- Voila! The newly created stamp will appear in the Map View.
This process makes quick work of inspecting multiple areas of the data set.